Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My Story

I have been a photographer my whole life. My mom always took photos of me and always had a camera around, so it is only natural that I picked it up one day and never put it down. When I was older and went to sleep away camp and found out that they offered photography lessons, I jumped at the opportunity to learn more about what happens after I finish a roll. The summer of 1995 is one that was spent in darkness (with a little red light). A lot of time was spent making photograms, or cutting out shapes in paper, arranging them on photo paper and exposing it to light, which leaves a "photo" behind of your design. We learned how to use the enlarger and develop prints, but the end of the summer when we actually got to help with the camp play was the highlight. Me and one other girl were given a camera and went to the theater to take photos of the entire cast together and individually. We then got to help develop the film and photos to be used at the entrance of the theater showing who everyone was in the cast with little bios. It may be a small feat, but it changed my life. Every summer from then on was spent with as much time there as I could. I didn't get the chance to be in a darkroom again until 2003 when I started high school, but the camera was always with me in between. At this point in my life, I am almost 30 and have so many photos that have never been seen. I plan to start at the beginning, my cheesy photograms, and take you through my life through my shutter. I have my professional photography site and facebook page, but this is different. This is about the person behind the camera, not the professional who loves to photograph families and children, but the girl who got her start in a little bunk in the state of New Jersey. The girl who found her passion and followed her dreams. Let us begin......

The bulletin board that all the photos were put on.


Photo of one of the actors in the play.


Another actor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment