Friday, June 6, 2014

VCU Senior Year


Senior year was mostly photo business classes, mass communication classes and senior portfolio (your last college photo class where the whole year is spent working on your final project with a massive critique of your work and a student showcase). My process was very slow as my idea grew. I kind of knew what I wanted to do, but I had no idea where to start. I think I grew the most this year. For my senior project I decided to tackle drugs and addiction (something that had affected me very personally in many ways). I wanted to show through my photos how different drugs affect people differently and create different types of addiction. While this was my original idea, it grew into something a little different. I ended up not having to explain my photos or idea at all because the photos seemed to affect people in such a way that they interpreted it themselves. My final piece covered more than just the drugs people know have major addictions and problems (like cocaine and marijuana) and spread into common drugs that people don’t even think of that can cause just as many issues (like caffeine and nicotine). It went into how our society accepts certain drugs and not others, and how strong denial can be. It caused such a debate that my critique went twice as long as most and got everyone involved. My teacher came to me and said it was my strongest project he has seen and that it was much more successful than he originally thought it would be. Some of my working images were weak, but when I got some strong ones and redid some of the other ones to match it slowly became stronger. While this is a very hard project to continue showing (because of the controversy and risks to my business), I still feel it is one of my best work to date.


Cigarettes. 


Cocaine.


Coffee.


Marijuana. 


Pills.


Shrooms.


THC.

No comments:

Post a Comment